Welcome to the
our classical music
Strings is written by and for players and teachers of bowed stringed instruments. Each issue features lively interviews with such luminaries as Itzhak Perlman, Edgar Meyer, and Yo-Yo Ma. Plus, it's filled with music to play, from long-forgotten pieces to new works.
Click to subscribe to MUSIClassical discussion list
on March in...
- 1723 a Good Friday, J. S. Bach conducts the FP of his St. John
at the Thomaskirche, Leipzig.
- 1811 Beethoven finishes his Archduke Trio Op 97.
- 1826? Birth of German mezzo-soprano and singing teacher Mathilde
MARCHESI. Calve, Eames, Gerster,
Garden and Melba were her famous students.d- London, 17 NOV 1913.
- 1827 Death of German composer Ludwig van Beethoven in Vienna at
- 1827 FP of Rossini's opera Moses in Egypt.
- 1828 FP of Schubert's Eb trio, Op 100, in Vienna.
- 1859 Birth of Russian composer Nikolai A. SOKOLOV who taught at
Petersburg Conservatory. d- Petrograd, 27 MA 1922.
- 1882 Birth of French contralto Jeanne GERVILLE-REACHE. d- NYC, 5
- 1884 Birth of German born, Swiss pianist Wilhelm BACKHAUS. d-5
- 1885 The new building of the Leipzig Gewandhaus opens.
- 1894 Birth of Roumanian soprano Viorica URSULEAC. d-22 OCT 1985.
- 1905 Birth of Belgian born, French conductor Andre CLUYTENS. d-
Near Paris, 3 JUN 1967.
- 1916 Birth of English conductor and composer Harry RABINOWITZ.
- 1923 Birth of American bandmaster and composer James Clifton
in Traskwood, Arkansas. d- 12 FEB 1976.
- 1925 Birth of French composer conductor Pierre BOULEZ
- 1938 FP of Howard Hanson's Third Symphony.
- 1943 FP of William Schuman's cantata A Free Song based on
a Walt Whitman
poem. FP in Boston it won Pulitzer Prize.(Whitman died on this day in
1892 in Camden, NJ).
- 1948 Birth of Korean violinist Kyung WHA-CHUNG in Seoul.
- 1948 Composer Hanns Eisler deported from USA because of his links to
- 2000 Classical composer John Corigliano (KOR eh LEE AH noh) wins
Oscar for his score
for the film The Red Violin.
See other Almanac days
by entering a name or date
in our search box window.
Click to subscribe to ALMANACmusiclassical
Check what occurred on this day in
classical music history and
discuss topics inspired by the events with list members.
Meet your Match! CLICK HERE to go to find aMUSIClassical compadre
A Proud Member of the One & Only Associate Network
END of ALMANACmusiclassical Page